Monday, August 22, 2016

EPITOME OF FLAIR - BEX HULANDS


Who are you?


I'm Bex from Subversive Femme - vintage enthusiast, collector of patterns, maker of things.

Fashion from the 1930s-1950s really speak to me, and I blog about sewing/knitting clothing from this era.
I don't hide from being a plus size woman, and happily size up vintage patterns to fit me. I think everyone should have access to vintage style no matter their body shape.
Every year in July I host Curvy Month on my blog. I find and share free vintage knitting patterns for larger figures during that month, proving that women have always come in different shapes and sizes.
Describe your fashion style


Eclectic 40s and 50s.

I like wacky novelty prints and bright colours, hand embroidery and ricrac trim.
I love vintage knitwear, swing pants, vintage jeans and patio dresses - fun and easy to wear.

I don't believe that dressing in vintage should be hard work, so I'm always looking for comfortable and unusual clothing.
I'm not a vintage purist, but 70% of my wardrobe is true vintage and the rest is vintage-style or reproductions.


Who is your favourite style icon & why?


I would have to pick two - Lucille Ball and Carmen Miranda.

Both of them looked a million dollars - they were glamorous and had playful sense of humour which really comes through in their fashion choices.
They were strong personalities too


Name your 5 essential fashion pieces


A Pendleton 49er jacket - perfect for Sydney autumns and springs



Minnetonka Thunderbird moccasins - great for walking long distances when you're antiquing



One good rayon or silk scarf - for those bad hair days. Do a Rosie for casual, or a Turban for fancy. A scarf can take you anywhere



Red lipstick - I love Kat Von D 'Tijuana'. Velvet matte, and cruelty free



A novelty brooch - nothing better than catching a glimpse of your crazy jewellery in a mirror as you walk past



Do you have a special prized fashion piece in your wardrobe?


I have a stunning floor length Crimson velvet dress will amazing sleeves from the 1940s. The shoulders have heavy gold embroidery on them - I've never worn it out as its so over the top, but here's hoping I get invited to cocktails with the Queen soon!

What is something surprising about you?


I'm the Treasurer for Sydney Dykes on Bikes - this will be my 6th year on the Committee.

People think Dykes on Bikes are only about Mardi Gras, but we put on events for our members throughout the year.
We also work really hard to raise money for our charities - to date we've given away over $30,000 to needy causes.


Do you have a favourite sewing pattern? What is it?


I have so many favourites! Probably the one I most want to make up is Simplicity 3414 from 1940.

It was one of the first vintage patterns I ever bought, and has some gorgeous options like an open sun back.
Maybe this is the year I make it up...





No comments:

Post a Comment